No more portables at one Cambridge High School

Kathryn McGarry, Member of Parliament for Cambridge, announced Thursday a $5.4 million investment for the expansion of École secondaire francophone Père-René-de-Galinée.

“The corridors are full of students during the breaks. It’s going to change the school environment, “says Grade 12 student Frédérico Chaux, who feels a bit cramped in his school.

This work will accommodate 178 more students and those who already attend school will no longer have to pile up in portables.

For MonAvenir Board Chair Melinda Chartrand, this is great news. “It has been many years that many of our high schools need expansion,” she says.

The plan is to eliminate all the portable devices, but at the same time it is an excellent sign [because it means that the Francophone community is growing].

Mélinda Chartrand, Chair of the MonAvenir School Board

This is the third funding announcement for a francophone school this week.

Tuesday, Liberal MP Sophie Kiwala announced $ 24 million for the creation of a new francophone high school in Kingston and the Minister of Francophone Affairs, Marie-France Lalonde, announced the sum of $ 16 million for the construction of a high school in east Toronto .

Humanitarian Crisis in Syria Continues

Nearly seven years after the start of the war in Syria, the humanitarian crisis is gaining momentum.

Air strikes are provoking an unprecedented spike in violence for several years, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The last rebel stronghold at the gates of the capital Damascus, Eastern Ghouta is the daily target of air raids and bombing of the regime, which intensifies its strikes against the sector since last week.

Staffan de Mistura, a four-year UN envoy to Syria, called for a reduction of tensions in the Security Council: “the situation is more worrying and dangerous than ever”.

Civilians have been killed on a horrendous scale, with more than 1,000 deaths in the first week of February alone, and strikes on schools, hospitals and markets continue.

Staffan de Mistura

A convoy of nine trucks carrying food and medicine for 7,200 people arrived Wednesday in the besieged area, announced the United Nations and the Syrian Red Crescent.

This is the first time that humanitarian aid has arrived in the area encircled and bombed by loyalist forces since 28 November.

The UN is calling for a month-long humanitarian truce across Syria to help deliver aid and evacuate the wounded.

Nearly 400,000 civilians in eastern Ghouta have been under siege since 2013 by regime forces and suffer shortages of food and medicine, resulting in hundreds of cases of malnutrition, particularly among children.

More than 13 million people, nearly half of them children, need humanitarian assistance in Syria, according to the UN.

Panama Papers: Canada Revenue Agency Launches Searches In Three Cities

Investigators from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) conducted searches in different parts of the country for a criminal investigation into tax evasion related to the Panama Papers.

Accompanied by federal police officers, some 30 RCAF investigators took part in operations in Calgary and the Toronto and Vancouver areas.

The ongoing criminal investigation “has allowed targeting a series of transactions involving foreign companies and several transfers using offshore bank accounts that would have been used for tax evasion purposes,” says a statement from CRA.

The investigation is related to the leaked data from the Panamanian law firm and Mossack Fonseca corporate service provider, made public in the Panama Papers.

Canada Revenue Agency

This is the first time that the Revenue Agency has revealed elements of its investigations into the Panama Papers, the major leak of confidential documents unveiled by many media around the world, including the CBC, in April 2016.

The CRA did not specify who the individuals, companies or places are targeted by the searches.

So far, a dozen countries have recovered up to $ 500 million in unpaid taxes following the revelations of the Panama Papers. But the Canadian government has not recovered any money.

In August 2017, Radio-Canada announced that Revenu Québec had triggered 272 tax audits in the wake of the revelations of the Panama Papers.

The Canada Revenue Agency is currently conducting about 40 investigations into international tax evasion, which could have cost the state billions of dollars. Some of these ongoing investigations are also related to the Panama Papers.

Australia bans sex between ministers and collaborators

The Australian Prime Minister on Thursday ordered the ban on sex between ministers and their staff in response to the storm caused by the extra-marital relationship of his deputy with his former assistant now pregnant.

Malcolm Turnbull announced this change to the Ministerial Code of Good Conduct at an extraordinary press conference during which he fired on Barnaby Joyce.

The deputy prime minister is guilty of “causing extreme pain and humiliation” to his wife and four daughters, he accused.

Mr. Joyce, 50, is in turmoil since the revelation last week of his affair with a colleague of nearly 20 years his youngest, who is now waiting for her child.

He is accused of contravening the government’s rules by appointing him to a cabinet and calls for his resignation are increasing.

“Barnaby made a shocking mistake in maintaining an affair with a young woman working in his office,” he said. “In doing so, he plunged these women into a world of misfortune and we are all dismayed. We are wholeheartedly with them. It was terrible for them to be in the spotlight. ”

Mr. Joyce is the leader of the National Party, one of the pillars of the conservative coalition formed with Mr. Turnbull’s Liberal Party. He had gained international notoriety by threatening to euthanize the dogs of American star Johnny Depp who had entered Australia illegally.

Turnbull also told parliament that his deputy would take a leave next week, which would mean he would not be in charge of doing business during a four-day visit to the United States. Mr. Turnbull will be replaced in his absence by Senate Chief Mathias Cormann.

This break will allow Mr. Joyce “to evaluate his own position,” said the Prime Minister. The latter could dismiss his deputy, but that would risk dividing the ruling coalition.

“I’m not here to lecture”

Barnaby acknowledged an extramarital affair with Vikki Campion, his 33-year-old former media advisor. His wife Natalie – of whom he is now separated after 24 years of marriage – and his four daughters said they were devastated.

Times have changed and people expect the political class to lead by example, “said the Prime Minister.

I’m not here to lecture. But no matter what the acceptable business or the things that we closed our eyes in the past, today, in 2018, it is not acceptable for ministers to have sex with people who work for them.

Malcolm Turnbull

The code of conduct is therefore amended to make it very clear that “ministers, whether single or married, should not have sex with their employees”.

Mr. Joyce denies any violation of the Minister’s Code of Conduct, which states that “spouses” of ministers can not obtain positions in ministerial offices without the express permission of the Prime Minister.

Ms. Campion had two positions, one in a ministerial cabinet and the other in a parliamentarian after she stopped working for Mr. Joyce last year.

The deputy prime minister is also accused by the opposition of violating this code of good conduct by agreeing to live for free in a millionaire friend’s apartment after the collapse of his marriage.

Labor accuses him of having asked to live in this house and therefore, to have accepted a gift, six months of free occupation. Mr. Joyce assures that the apartment was offered to him and did not ask to live there.

Mr. Joyce had found himself entangled a few months ago in a case of dual nationality that led to the resignation of a slew of parliamentarians, threatening the meager government majority in the House of Representatives.

He was re-elected in a by-law after appearing as a champion of conservative values ​​such as marriage.

Six cold records set in Saskatchewan

In the south-west of the province, the village of Val Marie recorded the coldest temperatures down to -43.6 degrees Celsius. The previous village record for February 12 was -32.2 degrees in 1949.

The extreme cold in Val Marie was however an exception, the other cities and colder regions Monday not exceeding the bar of -36 degrees Celsius.

Tuesday morning, the village still recorded the coldest temperatures in the province with -29 degrees.

Records of cold February 12:

  • Val Marie (-43.6 degrees Celsius) The previous record was recorded in 1949 with -32.2 degrees Celsius. Records recorded from 1939.
  • Weyburn (-36.5 degrees Celsius) The previous record was recorded in 1975 with -31.1 degrees Celsius. Records recorded from 1953.
  • Kindersley (-36.4 degrees Celsius) The previous record was recorded in 1951 with -34.4 degrees Celsius. Records recorded from 1912.
  • Coronach (-36.4 degrees Celsius) The previous record was recorded in 2000 with -29 degrees Celsius. Recorded records from 1961.
  • Rockglen (-33.8 degrees Celsius) The previous record was recorded in 1995 with -26.9 degrees Celsius. Records recorded from 1970.
  • Assiniboia (-33.6 degrees Celsius) The previous record was recorded in 1975 with -28.9 degrees Celsius. Recorded records from 1965.

Ontario court orders reinstatement of fired nurse

An Ontario arbitrator ordered the reinstatement of Sue McIntyre, the nurse who was unjustly dismissed by her employer, the North Bay Regional Health Center. The decision comes two years after the disciplinary action.

CUPE’s Ontario Council of Hospital Unions sent out a news release on Wednesday.

In February 2016, Sue McIntyre was fired after she spoke about workplace violence at a nursing conference in Kingston.

The Ontario Council of Hospital Unions says Wednesday that referee Bram Herlich has ruled that Sue McIntyre has never intended to undertake a media campaign to defame the institution’s reputation.

He ordered her reinstatement immediately.

The President and CEO of the North Bay Regional Health Centre, Paul Heinrick responded with an emailed statement.

“As the decision set forth in the Sue McIntyre arbitration was received last evening, the North Bay Regional Health Centre is carefully analyzing the ruling with our legal and human resource teams to determine opportunities and next steps.”

How many non-Catholics are there in Catholic schools?

The Association of Public School Boards of Ontario (ACÉPO) wonders how many non-Catholic students are enrolled in Catholic School Board schools.

According to ACÉPO, “an education system created to protect the Catholic faith” should not allow non-religious students to enter Catholic schools.

According to an article published by The Globe & Mail on Monday, the number of non-Catholic students in Catholic schools would have increased by 18% among Anglophones. ACÉPO wants the government to study the situation on the francophone side.

“In the absence of secular francophone schools in 45 regions in Ontario, thousands of students have no choice but to join Ontario’s other education systems,” reads the news release. ACÉPO.

Isabelle Girard, Executive Director of the Ontario Public School Boards Association, is concerned that the situation is creating unfair funding for school boards.

“If there is a shortfall in public funding, it does not allow us to build schools that should be built in areas where there are masses of francophones that exist,” she says. .

The AFOCSC reacts

The president of the Franco-Ontarian Association of Catholic School Boards does not see the value of making these statistics public, and accuses ACÉPO of being untransparent in its communiqué.

When we go there, we question the choice of parents. Who am I to question this choice? The parent is the person who knows his child best and what is best for him.

Jean Lemay, President of AFOCSC

He explains that, in his opinion, the difference must be made between elementary and secondary schools. Students in Grades 9 to 12 can be exempted from religion classes, but not elementary school.

“[At the elementary level], parents must go through admissions committees, children are not exempted from religious ceremonies, and they are encouraged to change their taxes to French Catholics. ”

He also adds that unlike the English system, the majority of French-speaking students choose Catholic schools.

Ministry of Education Response

The Ministry of Education does not count the number of non-Catholic students attending a Catholic school.

His minister, Indira Naiddo-Harris, adds that the rules that determine who can attend these schools will not be changed.

“We will continue to respect the constitutional and legislative framework governing education in Ontario,” she says by e-mail.